[Melbourne Days] Lentil as Anything x The most magical place in Melbourne | Love of Community


▷This is English Version, 這裡有中文版


In September 2018, I came to Melbourne and lived there for over one year.
April 2019, I finished my full-time job and travelled along the East Coast.
In the rest of my time in Australia, I just wanted to do whatever I want. I had been always wanting to volunteer at Lentil as Anything.

Finally, I came to attend the volunteer induction in May 2019 after the trip of the east coast.



Biking from Carlton to Thornbury, it took me around 30 mins as I am quite slow. On the way back I was happy that I finally made the first step, I was glad that I made the decision to turn down the offer from a strange company to free my time for the things I want to do.
"Come volunteering at least once a week." I told myself. At that moment, I didn't realise this place would become the most magical and special place in Melbourne for me, like home away from home.

What is this place like?
It is not just a vegan restaurant, as well as a charity and community. The concept is 'Pay as you feel' - there is no set price on the menu, you could contribute in any way you can - financial donation or volunteer.  Most staffs here are volunteers.


The menu changes every day.


Lentils vegan food totally blew my mind, I never thought vegan food could be that delicious.
It does not mean it is free meal as they need to pay rent, bills, wages, cost of ingredients...etc, about $12 covers the cost of one meal and one dessert. You can pay forward for those who can't afford a meal. If you can't contribute financially, you can volunteer, there are many ways to contribute.

Lentils has a lot of great concepts, one of them is Food Without Borders - Food Rescue. Supermarkets and local markets throw away heaps of food every single day, most of the food is totally eatable just not good to display and sell at stores. They go to some local markets and suppliers to rescue food back and sort it out, and part of them would be used in the kitchen and another part will be sold at The Inconvenience Store.

Lentils Van at Preston Market every Saturday to rescue food
How does The Inconvenience Store work? The store has no set prices either, store volunteer weights the product you buy. It is just to keep a record of the influence of food rescue. Same as the restaurant, it's pay as you feel. The volunteer would suggest the donated amount if you have no idea.
The Inconvenience Store .jpg
The Inconvenience Store(Photo from Lentil As Anything Website
Volunteers are the soul of Lentils, everyone can volunteer and no experience required. There are many ways to help, from kitchen hands, wait staff, baristas, store assistant... each restaurant varies. It is such a multicultural community, volunteers are from everywhere in the world. Everyone is unique and also the same here - everyone is respected and loved.
There is no pressure volunteering here, it is rewarding. Doing your best, it is recognised.

One great thing about its concept is that many people build confidence and get experience by volunteering here, it helps them learn skills as pathways to hospitality employment. 
Most of the time, you get guided by other volunteers as your first time volunteering here, and then next time you guide other new volunteers. Everyone helps and learns together, spreading knowledge and skills. That's the love and power of community. 
Lentils is a magical space, it is so easy to talk to people and build connections with either volunteers or customers. Most people are open-minded and have stories to share. I always met new people and had interesting conversations here.

Also, they often hold events and workshops here and therefore there is always something going on. Check their event page to stay tuned.


Live music every night, Tuesdays Open Mic
It is hard to describe how special Lentils is for me. I learned and experienced the concept and the beauty, importance of Community. It was a new experience for me, and I have learnt so much here. Even though I have already left Melbourne, I know there are places and a group of people on the other side of the world, like my home and my family.

I've been wanting to share the concept and everything about Lentil As Anything. I know it is not likely to have a place with exactly the same concept, but I would love to know if there is something similar outside of Australia. If you know, it would be amazing if you could share with me!


Lentil As Anything

留言

熱門文章