The Longest Roadtrip | East Coast Australia 1. First time Couchsurfing, Bus Trip

▷This is English Version, 這裡有中文版


24 April 2019
Day. 217
I am on the road. 
It's been almost three weeks since I started the east coast trip.

I am still on the road. Just feeling that I want to write down something.
-------------------------
I opened the google doc file I wrote when I was travelling along the East Coast of Australia.

A park in Sydney CBD 
During the year in Australia, I just wanted to live in the moment, exploring and enjoying. I always thought that I will have to write about my Australia days in my blog when I am back to Taiwan. Now, I'm back but I didn't know what I should write about. There were a lot of unreal times which I thought no need to be written on the blog, just remembering them. I even though of not writing at all.

Those memories came back to me when I opened and read my journals, they were magical time and journeys I experienced. I appreciate that I always keep a journal since I was a kid. At the beginning of my Australia trip, I changed to write in google doc rather than a handwritten diary in order to keep my things light. However, I returned to paper diary as I found a beautiful quirky diary at an OP shop. I still prefer bringing a journal and write it whenever and wherever. Sometimes I couldn't stop writing when I go to a beautiful place and feel inspired.   
I found this quirky journal in a basket in a corner of an OP shop, $2 AUD
I finished my full-time job which I worked for half a year in March 2019. It was a stressful office job, I often wanted to run away to Tasmania. Most of my friends suggested that I should stay at that job as it is difficult to find a good job like that. Indeed, I could have made and saved a lot of money if I stayed at the job and worked for a whole year. But I only had one year in Australia, I wanted to travel, explore and I had tons of things that I wanted to do. Also I have had been working for a half year, there was no reason to not go for a long trip.

A friend of mine from Taiwan came to Australia to visit me, we went to Sydney for a few days. After saying goodbye to him, I started my east coast trip.

As usual, I did not plan this trip at all. I just thought that I would like to stay in Sydney for a bit longer considering I had already flown all the way from Melbourne and therefore I thought why not continue travelling along the east coast. There was no planned return date, no destination and where to sleep the next day, let alone schedule. I mostly planned the destination for tomorrow on that day.

Firstly, I stayed at my friend - AJ's place for a few days. He lived in Newtown, where is like Sydney-version Fitzroy - a bohemian/hipster suburb in Melbourne. 
A corner in Newtown 
One night, I and a friend of mine came across to a bar and heard some music inside so we walked in to check it out. It was a local punk band. After the gig, another guy came to us and said: "Thank you for coming to support music!" and then gave us his T-shirt and EP. Thank him for the beautiful memories for my last night in Sydney.
My last night in Sydney, maybe I just sort of started to like it.
I had been planning where to go next while staying at AJ's. I had been wanting to try Couchsurfing, I often use this app, however, I have only used "hang out" and never really "couchsurf". I sent a lot of last-minute requests but I got rejected or no response as it was easter long weekend and everyone was out of town, so that was fair enough.
When I started to worry where I should go, finally, a host accepted my last-minute request. The next day, I took a train to Newcastle where is around two hours from Sydney. My first host in my life is Michael who lives with his twin brother in a suburb half an hour away from the city centre. He was much more easy-going and chill than I thought as he listed a lot of rules on his profile, however, he has got awesome positive reviews. Although he was busy with work, he still took me to the mountain nearby to see the sunset. I had the best sleep during the whole trip. I had my own space, comfy bed, not bunk bed or a couch.

Newcastle is not a popular tourist city, I found that the name of a place would be a reason for me to visit.

The next morning, Michael gave me a lift to the city centre. He took me on a scenic drive. Newcastle is a chill coastal city without the hustle and bustle of big cities like Sydney. I had a quick check for what's on in the city and then strolling to a record shop. It was record shop day so there was some live music at the shop. I seem to often be at local events and be the only foreigner/Asian face.

There was live music at the record shop on record store day.

I wandered around for an afternoon and my phone battery was almost dead when I was about to go back. And I had to take a bus and walk uphill to get back. I quickly read and tried to remember the directions, go straight on xx Rd, turn right on xx Rd... Finally, I arrived, Michael's brother - Chris walked out of the house and said, "you made it!"
We were watching Netflix for a while and then I said that I had to take the bus. I booked a coach ticket of the east coast and it runs only once a day. He checked how to get to the pick-up point for me and told me to wait at another bus stop as it's lighter and safer.  Although I only had a short stay and we didn't talk much, I really appreciated their host - my first couchsurfing experience ever.

As I walked to the bus stop, there were three boys there and one of them asked me, "Excuse me, do you have some change? "
-"Sorry I don’t have cash."

It is a great response as it is common to not carry cash here in Australia.

I got off the bus and walked to the pick-up point. There are two main coach companies providing the east coast hop on hop off pass. You can get on/off at any stop along the east coast in a period of time. It is suitable for someone doesn't have a specific plan like me. I chose the one which most people don't recommend -
 Premier motor coach. There was not much information. When I talked to someone who has done the east coast by coach, she said don't take Premier! Because they only run once a day and you might have to wait for the bus in the middle of nowhere at 4AM. However, I had already booked a ticket. Indeed, there are some places between Newcastle and Byron Bay I wanted to go, but the pick-up time is too unusual and so I skipped them.

Waiting for the bus alone at late night was a bit creepy especially I wasn't quite sure where the pick-up point exactly was. Luckily, I managed to get on the coach. There were full of backpackers and some random people on the coach. I was getting a bit excited about backpacking. It was a long ride - 11 hours! I had never had that long ride.

Premier motor coach
When the coach stopped somewhere for a bit, I chatted with a girl from Argentina. She said she came to Australia to study English and she suddenly thought "why am I studying here?" after two or three days and therefore she cancelled the course and went travelling lol She loves Melbourne as well, she said: "I want to stick a paper on the fridge saying I love Melbourne!" She is a lovely girl.

I am that kind of person who gets carsick easily especially long-distance bus. I was worried that I would vomit. After taking a motion sickness tablet, I fell asleep and woke up quite a few times during the drive as the seat wasn't that comfortable. Finally, the sun showed up and we arrived in Byron Bay.

to be continued...

留言

熱門文章